KSOC Frequently Asked Questions
Who are we?
We are several hundred skiing and non-skiing people in the Knoxville, TN area. Yes, we do get snow in Tennessee, and many of us (but not all of us) ski. You don't have to ski to be in the Ski Club. We also generally like the outdoors, and we like to socialize. We organize a wide variety of events year-round to suit most every outdoor interest.
Do you allow snowboarders in your club?
Yes! Snowboards, bigfoot skis, cross country skis, telemark skis, whatever. We have a growing number of snowboarders of all ages in the club, and some cross country and telemark skiers too. What you strap to your feet is up to you.
Snow in Tennessee?
Even though Tennessee is in the southeastern U.S., we get enough snow in the eastern portion of the state to support skiing. Most ski resorts within driving distance of Knoxville are in the Great Smoky Mountains or the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Of course, some winters are better than others for skiing around here. Typically, ski resorts in the region have nearly 100% snowmaking coverage to maximize the ski season. Most resorts offer night skiing; some as late as 10 p.m.. Many of the ski resorts are also "Year-Round" resorts, offering golf, mountain biking, and other warm weather activities as well.
Where are the ski resorts?
The following lists ski resorts in the region in order of increasing driving time from Knoxville.
- 1:15, Ober Gatlinburg (Gatlinburg, TN)
- 2:30, Cataloochee (Near Maggie Valley, NC)
- 2:30, Wolf Laurel (Between Johnson City, TN & Asheville, NC)
- 3:00, Scaly Mountain (NC-GA border, S. of Waynesville, NC)
- 3:00, Sapphire Valley (Near Cashiers, NC)
- 3:30, Ski Beech (Near Banner Elk, NC)
- 3:30, SugarMountain (Near Banner Elk, NC)
- 3:30, Hawksnest (Near Banner Elk, NC
- 3:45, Appalachian Ski Mountain (Near Blowing Rock, NC)
- 4:00, Winterplace (Flat Top, WV)
- 6:30, Massanutten (Near Harrisonburg, VA)
- 7:00, Snowshoe/Silver Creek (Near Marlinton, WV)
- 7:00, Wintergreen (Near Charlottesville, VA)
- 7:00, Bryce Mountain (Near Luray, VA)
- 8:00, Canaan Valley (Near Elkins, WV)
- 8:00, Timberline (Near Elkins, WV)
KSOC offers discounted single-day trips to many of the ski areas less than 4 hours away from Knoxville to its members. These trips include transportation (and occasionally the lift tickets) in the price.
Also, see the location maps for slopes less than 4 hours from Knoxville, below.